Sunday, March 2, 2014

Unspoken Words


A couple of days ago I went to the mall. Grayson was being whiney because he wasn't able to finish his nap that day. It's unusual for him to be anything but happy and it's frustrating for me when he isn't. We walked out of Dillard's and there they were...

There was a little boy with who I assume to be his mom. The little boy was probably 8 and was in a wheelchair with an obvious physical and mental disability. As we approached, I realized that the boy was having a seizure. As he was shaking uncontrollably in his chair, his eyes we rolling back. I wondered for a second if there was anyway that I could help, but when I looked at his mother she was so very calm and collected. She was holding his head gently in her hands. She comforted him by calmly whispering in his ear. I quickly gathered that this was not an unusual occurrence for them. The way this mother handled such a serious thing for her son so charismatically brought a tear to my eye. As they walked away all I could do was flash her a smile, but behind that were so many unspoken words. To see such an intimate and beautiful display of love between a child and his mother was breathtaking.

So often, we see parents so short tempered and impatient with their children. This was such a refreshing thing for me to witness and a perfect reminder to be grateful in all circumstances.

No comments:

Post a Comment