Saturday, March 8, 2014

Little for a Little While

Do you ever just do something on a whim and hope for the best? That's what I did yesterday. After dragging Grayson around all morning and then taking him to his first hair cut at 2, I knew we'd arrive home right at nap time.

As we arrived home, he had that sleepy look in his eyes. I looked outside the window into the backyard and it was sunny and beautiful. He walked to the back door and stared longingly at his swing set. He proceeded to go get his tennishoes and bring them to me along with saying what I think was supposed to be the word "outside."

It was settled, we were skipping nap time and going to play outside instead.

When I opened the door to freedom, his eyes lit up and a smile appeared on his face. He ran around for a half hour crunching leaves while I chased him. He ran the entire perimeter of the yard mesmerized by how the ground looked through his sunglasses. He played on his slide. He climbed up his slide and I let him because I understand sometimes it's fun to be a rebel. I pushed him on his swing and then we swung together. We snuggled on the hammock. We watched the birds fly. We listened to dogs barking. We sang and we talked to each other. We lived and we loved.

Schedules are great, but sometimes life requires adaptation. We skipped nap time and we made memories instead, because they're only little for a little while.
 




No comments:

Post a Comment